Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chicken Drumsticks with Asian BBQ Sauce


I am shocked at how cheap drumsticks are. At Trader Joe's 5 'Natural' chicken drumsticks will run you about $3. Granted, this recipe calls for 16 drumsticks (I use 3 packages which is ~ 15 sticks), so the price climbs to ~$10, but we stretch it over many meals (say 4 large adult portions and 3 kid portions). In our home we eat a lot of meat - admittedly one of the reasons our food budget is larger than our peers - so if I can find good recipes that use cheaper cuts, all the better.

This recipe is from Food & Wine (from who knows when) and since securing it in my recipe book I have made it 5 or so times, and enjoyed each meal. It is however, not fast. I give myself an hour from start to finish.

This makes me realize that I need a whole suite of recipes that use cheap cuts of meat and take 30-40 minutes to make. I joke (though it is all too true) that cooking with kids around makes your kitchen feel like an alligator pit, with hungry critters nipping at your ankles. In sum: not relaxing. So the faster a meal the better.


One thing this recipe uses that I do love and does make things quick: my Immersion Blender. Love it. I use it in this recipe to whip together the ingredients for the sauce and save dishes versus using the big blender. Delici0-s0.

Chicken Drumsticks
with Asian Barbecue Sauce
I did not have hoisin sauce the last time I made it, and had to substitute plum sauce making it sweeter than normal. Also - I totally consider the seasame seeds optional. I found cheap sesame seeds in bulk at our local natural food store.

Servings: 4 adult, 3 kid
Cost: $12-15
Time: 20 minutes active, 1 hour total

2 T vegetable oil
1 (+) tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
15 chicken drumsticks (~ 3 lbs)
Salt and fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup sweet Asian chili sauce or hot pepper jelly
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
2 T minced fresh ginger
2 (+) large garlic cloves
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 - 1 cup toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl mix the oil and 5-spice powder. Add the chicken, season with Salt and Pepper and toss to coat. Line a baking sheet with foil, and arrange the chicken in two rows. Roast for 35 minutes, turning twice. (If things get busy - as in the alligators start biting - it still turns out great if you forget to rotate the chicken.)

In a bowl or cup combine ingredients for sauce: hoisin, chili sauce, rice vinegar, broth/stock, ginger, garlic and sesame oil. Puree with immersion blender until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for ~ 5 minutes.

Once chicken is cooked transfer to clean bowl and power sauce over to coat.

Turn oven to broil. Place the chicken back on the tray and return to oven to broil for another 10 minutes, turning once. Brush with extra sauce. Remove from oven.

Place sesame seeds in a bowl. Using tongs, immerse one end of the cooked chicken in the bowl of sesame seeds and transfer to a serving platter. Enjoy.

No comments: