Saturday, May 31, 2008

My First Rhubarb Pie


Rhubarb is beautiful. I had no idea. It was a joy to wash the long maroon and green striped stalks, pat them dry and cut the stalks lengthwise in preparation for these pies.



I think the seasons are moving by faster than I can keep up. Each month I am trying to experiment with a new ingredient (beet greens) or a spin on an old ingredient that is in season (asparagus). When I updated the last 'What's in Season' I knew rhubarb was this months' bird (so to speak). Jon and Cole found some rhubarb at the local farmers market for $3.99/lb, and with two pounds of rhubarb I made two yummy rhubarb pies. (I later spied rhubarb on sale at our local natural grocery for $2.99/lb and our local big retail grocery doesn't carry rhubarb even in season)

Finding the time to cook these days usually means spending the afternoon nap time in the kitchen instead of catching some zzzzzs. So depending on how exhausted I am, and how badly I want to cook something up, you will know where to find me. On Saturday the call of the kitchen won out and the pies were created. I did have a little mishap with my favorite pie dough recipe ... some overeager measuring of the shortening led to a very tender (and difficult to work with) pie crust. But alas, the pies, served warm with vanilla ice cream, were met with great applause and worth every lost zzzzz.


Rhubarb Pie

This recipe originated from Nancy's copy of the Complete American-Jewish Cookbook . When I told Jon I wanted to make a rhubarb pie, he immediately responded, "Oh, Nancy makes a wonderful rhubarb pie". It's so rewarding to chronicle these family favorites.

Servings: 8 good sized slices
Cost: $4/pie (based on $2.99/lb and pie dough from scratch)
Time: 1 hour total, 15 minutes active (this time does not include the pie dough)

2 eggs
3 cups rhubarb, diced
1 cup sugar
3 Tbls flour
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg
1/2 recipe plain pastry dough
1 Tbls butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 425. Beat eggs with fork. Combine rhubarb, sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Add egg and mix well until all the rhubarb is equally coated. Place the rhubarb in a pastry lined pie plate. Cover the top with remaining rolled out pie dough. Dot the pastry with butter and place pie in oven for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely delicious! I couldn't stop myself from stealing bite after bite of this perfect pie baked by Auntie Em!

ancientindianwizard said...

Rhubarb is awesome! To me it always feels a bit strange to be using something that looks like celery to make a sweet baked good with. I made a strawberry rhubarb pie last Saturday. I now think it is my favorite type of pie as it's never overly sweet due to the rhubarb. So yeah.. it is currently blowing blackberry and apple out of the water for me as a favorite pie.

Also, I think there was something in this post about beet greens too. Bring the fam down to SC sometime and Serena will hold a seminar on the many different ways to eat beet greens!

Awesome blog Em!